Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Fabulous Fiddle Leaf Fig



It is beginning to get a bit chilly at this time of year in New Zealand and we've definitely started spending more time indoors. We love being surrounded by plants and have enjoyed hanging out in our new garden over the last few months. Now our attention has turned to bringing some of the outdoors, in.
  



Giving away all of our plants when we moved from overseas last year was quite torturous! I knew we'd have to start all over again & it's amazing how attached I'd become to my plants.


I've always loved to decorate with indoor plants and use them everywhere from the kitchen to the kids rooms.





After we moved into our new home, I became fixated on getting a big plant for my hallway. My white floorboards & walls were crying out for some greenery and I began to seek inspiration on the Internet,in mags and started trawling through the local nurseries.



I kept seeing one particularly striking and large plant online, over and over again. It didn't take me long to realise that this particular plant was the one I was going to track down, even if it killed me! (Which btw, it nearly did!) Not quite as prolific in the nurseries down here in the South Island as I'd hoped! 



Yip, if ever there was such a thing as a 'cool' plant this would be it. The Ficus Lyrata or Fiddle Leaf Fig,(as it's more commonly known) has been getting some pretty good coverage online and it seems to pop up in stylish interior spaces everywhere you look.




So, I'm happy to say that my plant search is over. I too joined the indoor plant 'cool club' and got myself a Fiddle Leaf Fig. I took the pic above on my phone yesterday after I plonked it behind a couple of others. Today I'm off to find a pot. Wish me luck! 





Hope you glean some inspiration from these pics as I have. I'm hoping mine may eventually do some crazy sideways growing like this one above. How awesome is it?! 

Image sources via our Pinterest page

10 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a plant for a lonely place in my hallway...this is perfect, please divulge your stockist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, Oderings nursery in Christchurch found one for me after a bit of a search! They were great to deal with, very helpful. I hope you track one down, you'll love it. Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Loving this big ass fiddle plant Tal! Might have to add that to the shopping spree in the weekend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You new place will love one of these! Shopping trip going to be epic, wish I was actually going to be there for it! My ideal Saturday activity as you know xx

      Delete
  3. Great post Talia. I've been looking for an indoor tree too, but I have to confess to being pretty hopeless when it comes to plants. That's usually the Mr's territory. Will keep my eye out for one of these beauties. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just quietly I'm not all that great either Vic!! In Melbourne it was nearly impossible to kill indoor succulents, so I may be biting off more than I can chew with any plant that needs actual attention! x

      Delete
  4. I've been obsessing over indoor plants, this one in particular too! Well done for tracking it down.. so many great images and it looks gorgeous in your hallway. Hope you found a great pot for it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Did you come across any in the North Island??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oderings Nurseries have stores in both the South and North Island and they were great to deal with. I'm sure they could track one down for you, they put one in a courier van for me and I had it the next day. Goodluck!

      Delete
  6. We just received a batch of about 60 Ficus Lyratas with the below size

    1.) 70-85cm - $99
    2.) 90-100cm -$119
    3.) 110cm-120cm - $149

    They are multi-stemmed and look awesome! Come by to Clayton 3168 to have a look. They are going pretty quickly!

    0411805708
    James

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I love reading them all :)